- Most importantly, stop using all devices one hour prior to sleep.
Put all devices away in another room rather than keep them in the bedroom to discourage you from checking them during the night.
Then, after you’ve finished your bedtime beauty routine, using Organic Surge’s restful essential oils found in products such as Lavender Meadow Hand and Body Lotion and Overnight Sensation Night Cream, which will help you to get your beauty sleep while caring for your skin, it’s time to prepare for some restful slumber.
Lie in your soft warm bed and just take a few, long deep breaths.
On the next inhale just hold the breath in for a moment and then let it go. Feel the wave of deep relaxation with each exhale.
- Now is the chance to review your day. Take a few moments to do this.
- During this moment, take a long deep inhale, then, gradually let the whole thing go.
- Get a sense that with each exhale you let go of your waking self and this day and move into the freedom to sleep. No one to see, nothing to do, nothing you need to control but just let go of the day.
- Start to count to four on the inhale, hold the breath in for two, and exhale for six.
- Inhale 4 3 2 1.
Exhale 6 5 4 3 2 1.
- Now stay focused on your breathing.
- Take one more deep inhale, and as you exhale sink down into your bed and invite sleep to come.
The Organic Surge Blog
October is here and that means that nights are drawing in and the mornings are toe-stubbingly dark.
Flip flops are begrudgingly put away in the cupboard as the winter boots are unearthed, so it’s time for a skin care swap too. The treasured summer staples that have been keeping your skin balanced and glowing throughout the summer season now need to be updated with products which are more tailored to the fresher, chillier weather.
Here are five products to add to your routine, ready for autumn.
- Moisturise Moisturise Moisturise!
The drier air we experience throughout October-February means that skin can quickly become dry so it is vital to switch to a more nourishing (not necessarily thicker) moisturiser. Most complexions will love the ultimate boost that our Super-Intensive Daily Moisturiser gives. Organic rose geranium essential oil is key to restoring skin balance and reviving a dull complexion. With the additional benefits of Aloe Vera to repair, sooth and moisturise, skin will feel and look super soft.
- Try a new product
There is little harm in experimenting once in a while with new products, and you can’t go far wrong with natural and organic products, so why not try a Facial Mask? Facial masks treat your particular skin type or condition, and if you’re prone to dry skin as the temperature drops, then a facial mask should easily hydrate your skin. If your skin is red or inflamed, then the mask should calm and soothe. If your skin is oily, the facial mask can help draw out impurities from the skin. Our Deep Cleansing Face Mask is made from Purifying essential oils, blended with soothing chamomile and ginkgo biloba to brighten and rebalance, leaving skin clean, clear and revitalised.
- Don’t Forget These Key Areas
Organic Surge Lavender Meadow Hand and Body Lotion
It’s easy to focus solely on the health of your face during the colder months, but there are other areas that require your attention in the colder climate, mainly your hands, which will be exposed to the elements just as much as your face. Lavender Meadow Hand and Body Lotion has an intensive moisturising action and is quickly-absorbed to provide comfort and hydration. Enriched with organic lavender and geranium essential oils, and moisturising vitamin E, shea butter and cocoa butter, this dreamy lotion works to prevent moisture loss leaving skin comforted and softened.
- Get your glow back!
Why should your skin only get a summer glow? Get your glow back and reveal smoother, brighter skin with our multi-award winning Natural Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser, with a new and improved formula making it suitable for vegans. This Hot Cloth Cleanser will gently remove dirt and impurities, harnessing the highest quality essential oils and moisturisers to care and clean to fully rejuvenate skin. The massaging action will stimulate blood flow in the skin, giving a natural glow to the complexion, enhanced by the gentle exfoliation from use of a cloth in the cleansing regime.
- Finally, Call in the big guns!
Organic Surge Replenishing Facial Oil Enriched with Argan Oil
If you feel that your moisturiser just doesn’t cut the mustard when it comes to all-winter-protection, then give it a helping hand with a facial oil. Perfect on its own, or dilute it down by mixing it in with your every day moisturiser, this luxurious yet lightweight oil instantly hydrates parched skin, without leaving a heavy pellicule. Using an uplifting blend of essential oils including soothing argan oil and yarrow oil, it will leave your skin looking and feeling comfortable, soft and fresh.
These days it’s not uncommon to have sensitive skin, mainly because of the environment we live in, the food we consume, the products we use and the normal stresses of everyday life. Not to mention the genes we’ve been ‘blessed’ with. Usually, it’s a combination of some or all of these factors that can cause our skin to break out from even the mildest imbalance. This can be so disheartening for anyone that has experienced sensitive skin issues such as, eczema, rosacea or psoriasis, or just general sensitive or dry skin.
The good news is that because it IS so common, a lot of skin problems CAN be brought under control with a variety of lifestyle changes, and here are some top tips to help you alleviate those problematic skin complaints.
- The ‘wrong’ skincare products: Strong perfumes, artificial colours, preservatives and petrochemicals can all irritate the skin. Organic Surge products are NOT tested on animals and are 100% free of harsh chemicals – no parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate, no artificial fragrances or colourants and no genetically modified ingredients.In addition to this, and following some wonderful feedback from customers, we have put our Lavender Meadow products through clinical testing which has proven them to be suitable for use on eczema prone skin.
- Stay Hydrated: staying hydrated in crucial to our health. Not only that, but it flushes out any toxins in your body, and the benefits of drinking plenty of water will soon reflect in the way your skin looks. Drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day to ensure that your body and your skin are supplied with enough water to function optimally and flush out toxins from your system.
- Baths not showers: While showers may be quick and convenient, or relax you after a long day, a hot shower will also open up your pores and cause delicate skin to flush. The result of this makes sensitive skin even more sensitive and reactive. Showers can also strip the skin of its protective oils. Try to have a bath instead, or if that’s not an option, try turning down the temperature and end your shower with a burst of cool water.
- Using a water softener: If you live in the UK, particularly in Southern England, you will be well aware of the white, flaky deposits of lime scale in your kettle and on your shower screen. This usually means that you live in area of hard water. Hard water contains a higher than normal amount of lime scale, or calcium carbonate (CaCO3). Lime scale is known to interfere with the skin's protective barrier, causing irritation to dry skin. If you notice that your skin reacts to it, you can reduce lime scale by using a water softener. You can find out more here.
- Avoid or reduce Spicy food: Now we don’t want to be the fun police, because, let’s face it, who doesn’t like a nice spicy curry. However, as with most treats, if you do suffer from any form of sensitive skin then just try to reduce your intake of a spicy curry, as spicy food can often trigger or exacerbate it, particularly chilli, horseradish or MSG foods.
- Steer clear of processed foods: What we eat has a huge impact on our well-being, including your skin. Avoid eating heavily processed foods, which often contain additives. Eating a more plant-based, organic diet, rich in fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts and beans, will provide your body with beneficial vitamins, minerals and nutrients, which will improve your health and well being and revitalise your skin.
- Cut out cigarettes and alcohol: It sounds like a no-brainer, yet we still do it. Alcohol consumption causes dehydration, skin spots and permanent changes in the quality and elasticity of your skin. Try giving up smoking and consuming alcohol in moderation. By setting yourself realistic goals you’re more likely to stick to them.
- Carefully manage your sun exposure: getting the balance of sun exposure is incredibly important – too much can aggravate sensitive skin, not to mention accelerate the effects of ageing and increase your risk of developing skin cancer. Too little sun is detrimental to sufferers of eczema and psoriasis. Vitamin D is crucial for the balance of the immune system and healthy bones, and also our skin.
- Staying calm: Stress and anxiety are known triggers for a number of mental and physical ailments but did you know that they can also affect the skin? Try a simple meditation for 5 minutes a day, just by sitting still with your eyes closed and focus on your breathing. If meditation doesn’t float your boat, then relax in a way that suits you – exercise, long bath or listening to your favourite tunes.
- Catch some Zzzzs! Sensitive skin can be a symptom of lack of sleep. Sleep deprivation affects the skin’s natural barrier function which can lead to dryness, irritation and increased skin sensitivity. The epidermis is less likely to be able to protect itself from chemicals and pollutants in the environment, so having an early night is more important than you think!.
Living with sensitive skin can be so disheartening. Organic Surge’s founder Alan MacKenzie started Organic Surge because of his own issues with sensitive skin, and wanted to create an affordable organic skincare range. With a combination of the right lifestyle choices and the right products for you, your skin can regain its healthiness.
As always, please let us know how you get on!
It was the sumptuous styling of the spectacular vegan dishes on About That Food that first caught our eye. The recipes and their presentation are the work of Melina, a former fashion stylist turned food stylist, photographer and blogger, based in Vienna, Austria.
Melina first gave up eating meat in 2011 for health and ethical reasons but soon decided to take a further step and become vegan. Melina credits the decision with completely transforming her relationship with food. She is passionate about the idea that being vegan shouldn’t be about restriction; she believes it should be a journey into understanding what goes into your body and its relationship with the world around you. For Melina, being a vegan goes beyond your plate to the beauty products you use, the clothes you buy and the waste you create. Melina believes that an aware and conscious way of living is the secret to a happy and fulfilled life.
This Easter we wanted to share Melina’s delicious Chocolate Rosemary Swirl recipe with you. Melina has used nutritious coconut oil to complement rich dark chocolate and aromatic rosemary. The main challenge is not to eat the whole batch straight from the oven!
Makes 9 buns
- 400g wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g coconut oil (+ some more for oiling)
- 100ml soya milk (at room temperature)
- 1 packet dry yeast + 1/4 cup warm water
- 15 medjool dates
- 100g dark vegan chocolate
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
For the icing:
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- In a small bowl whisk together the dry yeast with 1/4 cup warm water until the yeast is dissolved.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pan. Once it’s completely melted, stir in the soya milk and whisk together until uniform.
- Stir the coconut oil/soya milk mix and the yeast into the bowl with the flour and mix together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Oil a clean bowl with some coconut oil, add the dough and put it in a warm place for about 1 hour to rise.
- While the dough is proving, put the pitted dates in a saucepan with about 1/4 cup water, bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes on a low heat until the dates have disintegrated to form a thick cream.
- Chop up the chocolate and melt it into the date cream.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down, knead a little and then roll it out into a rectangle about 0.5 cm thick.
- Now spread the chocolate cream evenly on the dough. Finely chop and sprinkle the rosemary onto of the chocolate cream and then roll it up lengthwise and chop into 9 even pieces.
- Oil an ovenproof dish with coconut oil, place the rolls inside and let them prove again for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175C and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the icing, simply whisk together the maple syrup and almond butter and dribble over the buns when you have taken them out of the oven.
- Serve while still warm!
We’re clearly passionate about organic. Our founder Alan MacKenzie set up Organic Surge after suffering from eczema and skin sensitivity. He was frustrated that he couldn’t find good-quality, genuinely organic skincare at an affordable price.
We’re a small team, based in the Scottish Highlands. We’re proud to be fully independent and striving always to make the best products we possibly can – products that are good for your skin as well as for the environment – is the heart and soul of what we do.
We wanted to find out more about why you choose organic skincare and beauty products, and the differences you see after switching to organic. We were blown away by the response. We had an incredible 214 replies to our Facebook question and we want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who contributed. So rather than hearing it from us, here are the top ten reasons why you choose Organic Surge skincare, bodycare and haircare.
- ‘Organic Surge beauty products don’t irritate sensitive and eczema-prone skin’ came up time and time again in your replies. We understand the challenges of sensitive skin. SLS, parabens and synthetic fragrances are the most common irritants in skin and bodycare products so it's safe to switch to Organic Surge, which is 100% free of these harsh ingredients. Plus, all Organic Surge facial skincare products have been clinically and dermatologically tested and are suitable for sensitive skin. Find out more about how we test our products to ensure they are safe for sensitive skin here.
- You share our passion for choosing organic because it’s better for the environment. We work with Ecocert’s global standards and ensure we use ingredients derived from renewable resources that are manufactured by environmentally friendly processes. We also work with Ecocert on ensuring our packaging is always reusable or recyclable. You can find out more about Ecocert’s standards here.
- You choose Organic Surge because we don’t use any of the chemicals you want to avoid, including GMO, parabens, phenoxyethanol, silicon, PEG, synthetic perfumes and dyes, and animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced such as beeswax).
- We were delighted that you said you choose our products because you like our honest approach. This is so important to us. We are a small team and don’t have a marketing department or even an employee dedicated to marketing. We put developing great performing products first and always try to be transparent and honest in everything we do.
- You like the way our organic products feel to use. A word that came up time and time again was ‘better’. We don’t use any synthetic fragrances in our products, only pure essential oils. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years for their skincare benefits and mood-enhancing properties. They also give our products their vibrant, uplifting fragrances.
- You try to eat organic, so why wouldn’t you choose organic for your skin, body and haircare too?
- Thank you so much Katy Beardmore for feeding back on the quality of our customer services. Coreen and Jenny, who look after our customer services, are based in our office in the Highlands. They are on hand by phone on +44(0) 1955 606 061 or email, at firstname.lastname@example.org , to help with any questions or advice, so please do get in touch.
- You buy our products because they are cruelty-free.
- Do you do your grocery shopping on Ocado? Several people told us that they loved being able to easily pick up their favourite Organic Surge products with their weekly shop. Caroline A Emerson is a busy mum who told us that choosing Organic Surge gave her peace of mind for her skin and family.
- You also told us that you choose our products because they last and offer great value for money. The quality of the products was mentioned in many of your replies – which we are delighted about. We love reading your product reviews – Alan personally reads every single one. We include them on our website so you can read first-hand, unbiased reviews and feedback on every product.
By Organic Surge
We all enjoyed National Vegetarian Week and we are finding it so inspiring to see all the great new vegan, plant-based, healthy living and sugar-free bloggers, chefs, cooks and writers out there. With new books from Deliciously Ella, Detox Kitchen, Madeline Shaw, Hemsley & Hemsley and Amelia Freer, there’s never been a better time to add nourishing plant-based recipes to your repertoire or even to go full out new vegan!
Bo from Bo's Kitchen is the rising star of the plant-based food revolution and definitely one to watch. She’s a vegan blogger and photographer whose Instagram page is a visual feast of delicious and easy-to-make original recipes.
We caught up with Bo to find out more about her beauty routine and life as a vegan.
Bo's top tips
OS: What is your beauty routine?
Bo: I cleanse and moisturise in the morning and cleanse, tone and moisturise in the evening. For cleansing, it has to be Organic Surge Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser. The pump dispenses just the right amount (so there’s no waste) and the texture is perfect for getting off every last trace of make-up. It’s brilliant value compared to other natural hot-cloth cleansers and it leaves my skin smelling like a bunch of roses! I also dry body brush as much as possible and do a hair mask at least once a week – I’m finding the Organic Surge 2-Minute Moisture Hair Mask is really fabulous.
OS: When did you become a vegan and why?
Bo: I became vegan about ten years ago, just to see if I could do it. There aren’t any cons to the vegan lifestyle – sure, you have to cook a little bit more than before, but I think everyone should know what goes into their food. I have more energy than ever, work out every day, eat a huge variety of food and rarely get ill. It’s also very cheap to eat vegan – good for my wallet too!
You are what you eat
Bo has created two super-easy and delicious breakfast recipes for us to start your day right.
Chia seeds are little miracles for your skin – packed full of vitamin E, omega 3 fats, fibre, zinc, magnesium and protein, all of which help maintain a youthful glow. For the chocolate layer I added some cacao, which is high in antioxidants, increases blood flow to the skin and contains omega 6 fats which helps heal wounds and scars. Both of these superfoods combine in a creamy coconut milk mixture to make this deliciously healthy pudding.
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp cacao
6 tbsp chia seeds
1.Mix 1/2 cup coconut milk with 1/2 cup of water and add the chia seeds. Stir very well.
2.Split the mixture between two jars and add 2 tbsp of cacao to one jar. Mix well again. Leave both jars overnight in the fridge, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
3.Layer your coconut chia pud and cacao chia pudding in your jar and top with raspberries and coconut.
This smoothie is actually a green smoothie bowl in disguise! It tastes sweet and creamy and boasts a whole host of skin boosting ingredients such as strawberries, beetroot, kale, avocado and flaxseed. The recipe makes enough for two bowls or three small glasses.
1 large handful of frozen strawberries
3 frozen bananas
1 large handful of kale (stalks included)
1 tbsp ground or whole flaxseed
1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp beetroot powder or 1 small raw beetroot
2 tbsp dairy free yoghurt
Toppings of choice: I used blueberries, kiwi, cacao nibs and shredded coconut
1.Add all smoothie ingredients apart from the yoghurt to your food processor or blender and mix until smooth. Pour into your bowl.
2.To make the pretty yoghurt topping, add small dollops of yoghurt all over your smoothie bowl. Stir with a chopstick of knife to make swirls. Top with fruit, cacao nibs and shredded coconut.
By Organic Surge
It’s that time of year when we’re beginning to think about holidays – getting away from it all, discovering new places, escaping familiar routines. Wherever you go, though, your beauty needs and the problem of fitting everything into a too-small bag seem to follow you. So at Organic Surge we’ve created mini versions of some of our essential products to solve your problems.
Good things in small bundles
•Our must-have cleanser, Organic Surge Daily Care Refreshing Face Wash, containing 98.89% natural ingredients and suitable for all skin types, is available in a handy 95ml bottle.
• Squinting at the sun? Rejuvenate and nourish the sensitive area around your eyes with Organic Surge Hydrating Eye Cream, available in a 20ml bottle.
• Organic Surge Replenishing Facial Oil (30ml) will instantly hydrate parched, sun-kissed skin.
• And you can get Organic Surge Super-Intensive Daily Moisturiser, enriched with rose geranium essential oil and aloe vera, in a 50ml jar. ‘I wouldn’t be without my intensive moisturiser. Nothing else out there comes close,’ says customer Janny. Even on holiday, there are some things you just don’t want to change!
Grown in Britain
You may not know it, but Organic Surge is based in Wick in Caithness, in the far north-east of Scotland, just a few miles south of John O’Groats. It’s a beautiful setting, even if we say it ourselves – lots of peace and quiet, picturesque houses built of local stone, a ruined castle (the Old Man of Wick) looking out over the sea and a scenic fishing harbour that was once the busiest in Britain. We’d recommend it as a holiday spot any time! Our favourite place is Keiss Beach on Sinclair’s Bay, a long strip of sand below by craggy cliffs where you can catch glimpses of seals and puffins. We’re proud to come from an area of the British Isles with so much natural beauty – it’s part of our inspiration for Organic Surge. We choose only essential oils and plant extracts certified as natural. It’s our way of protecting not only ourselves, but the environment around us as well.
Preparing for take-off
If you are flying – to Scotland or beyond – a few simple precautions can minimise the effects of dry cabin air on your skin:
• Drink lots of water: the pressurised air in airplanes is notoriously low in humidity. A litre of water for every five hours of flight time should restore your body’s natural balance.
• Take care of your skin: up your moisturising regime before you travel and use an intensive moisturiser such as Organic Surge Gardeners Hand Cream to protect from dehydration during the flight.
• Keep moving: simple exercises such as stretching your arms, rotating your head or flexing your ankles keep your blood circulating and muscles relaxed to minimise fatigue. And don’t forget that the journey is only the start of the adventure to come!