Finally summer has arrived! Make the most of the Great British summer with our ORGANIC SURGE guide to CELEBRATING SUMMER. We’ve selected a few sporty picks and seasonal food and drink ideas.
SUMMER OF SPORT
We’ve had a fantastic summer of sport in 2012 with a British Tour de France winner and Team GB’s record haul of medals at the Olympic Games. What better inspiration than their achievements to get us all motivated - here’s our guide to making the most of the outdoors:
- CYCLING – get on your bike and take to the road or why not try track cycling and BMX. Here’s where Tour de France and Gold Medal winner Bradley Wiggins started his cycling career. For more info on all forms of cycling, safety and getting started
- RUNNING – Mo Farrah led Team GB to another gold medal in the 10,000 meters. His inspirational race was enough to motivate Andy Murray to his gold medal. Throughout the summer you’ll find plenty of organised races in every part of the country. Why not start off with a 5K, one of the most popular is the Race for Life check out the nearest run here. For the more advanced runners check out Runners Worldwhere you’ll finder longer distances like half marathons.
- SWIMMING – whilst the summer is here swap your local indoor pool for an outdoor lido. With a few dotted around the country it’s the perfect refreshing summer dip. For the more extreme outdoor swimmer there’s a specialist club which offer safety tips, organised swims, and the best locations. Click here for more information.
- TRIATHLON – why not combine all of the above? Watching the Brownlee Brothers make Olympic history is enough to encourage anyone to take up the sport. It’s a gruelling three part race combining Swimming, Cycling and a Running. A great way to get in shape!
Click herefor more information.
Eating seasonally is so important, and being able to eat food at its best and during the summer season we’re spoilt for home-grown produce choice. Here in the UK we have a brilliant array which is plentiful during the summer season.
- BERRIES – summer is bursting with delicious berries – take your pick from Strawberries, Raspberries or Blackberries. Go wild and pick your own, here’s a list of local ‘pick your own farms’ or you can collect Blackberries in the wild, most country lanes are brimming with the tasty fruit. Eat alone or use in summer puddings, eton mess’s, or smoothies.
- TOMATOES – you can’t beat vine ripened tomatoes! With so many varieties available from home-grown producers it’s hard to not to have Tomatoes in every meal. Why not try growing your own too? For helpful hints and tips, click here.
- DRINK UP – the new health drink on the block is perfect for summer: we love the tasty Coconut Water which has a whole host of nutritional properties. Try the Vita Coco range which is never from concentrate and very refreshing on a hot summers day. We also love Bobble Bottles which are stylish, reusable bottles which filter water as you drink. Very economical, and environmentally friendly, plus the bottles are BPA, Phthalates and PVC free. Say goodbye to expensive and harmful plastic water bottles.
Live Life Better