We hear so much in the media about natural skin and body care, but what is the real advantage of using natural/organic over synthetic products?
1. Natural ingredients enhance the skin’s natural function; working in synergy with the skin by utilising active ingredients that help optimise skin regeneration.
2. The skin is the body’s largest organ and research indicates it is capable of absorbing up to 60% of the products we put on our skin.
3. The vast majority of bath and body products available today contain commonly-used synthetic ingredients such as Parabens and SLS; these synthetic ingredients have been recognised to cause irritation in some people and may have more serious damaging effects longer-term.
4. It’s been proven! Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, Camomile, Witch Hazel, Rosemary and many more natural ingredients have been proven to improve the condition and vitality of the skin.
5. Natural ingredients have also been proven to help against free radical damage, which is what causes premature ageing!
6. New skin is constantly being generated and because it plays such an important, protective role – it’s extremely important not to use chemicals that can damage the skin.
7. Larger companies often use chemicals because they're cheap and readily available. Supply of natural ingredients can vary through the seasons and crop success. But remember that your skin may absorb up to 60% of whatever you put on it – the no 1 reason to avoid synthetic ingredients that can be held in your bloodstream and organs for many months, as your body can’t break them down.
8. Phthalates are chemicals often used in cosmetics – studies have found that men with the most exposure to them were on average about three inches larger in the waist than other men. Their insulin resistance levels were notably higher as well. (skin-remedies.com)
9. The body does not build resistance to natural remedies as it can do to chemicals. Meaning that if you use natural ingredients, your skin will continue to benefit!
10. Many of us are now choosing a more organic/natural lifestyle with the food that we eat, so it makes sense to choose the same for your skin!
For more information and to watch an interview with Paula Bristow, a skin care expert who has worked in the beauty industry for over 18 years and has a passion for natural and organic cosmetics, please click here.